Saturday, October 20, 2012

Very Good Pomp Article & Teasers

This is an article from earlier this year that's got some pretty good Pompano info. It references Martin & St. Lucie counties but talks a great deal about what to look for in the surf to find Pompano.

http://www.floridasportsman.com/2012/03/19/features_pompano_stlucie_surf/

Which leads to something else I've been hearing more and more about. Teasers. 

What peaked my interest in teasers is the photo I posted on Pomp lures a few days ago.  If you notice in the picture the fish doesn't actually have the banana lure in its mouth but the teaser.  I'm sure the lure would work well on its own, but I think that teaser heigtens the attraction to the fish.  Something like that could only add to what we're doing to catch fish. 

Keep in mind the Pompano is actually a Jack and  Jacks are aggressive predators.  The above article also talks about the beads being attractants.  I'm guessing most of us have thought about the beads as something to draw the fishes attention to the bait.  In the article he hypothesizes that the fish is actually attacking the bead itself, with the evidence being the number of fish he's caught that were hooked in the head outside the mouth.  I've caught Pompano like that as well, which surprised me.  Ignoring the shrimp, clam or sandflea to go after the bead(s)? 


I stopped by Strikezone yesterday to see if I could find a similar teaser with little luck.  Then I went over to the Black Creek Outfitters (Fly Fishing shop) and came away with some ideas I think are very good!  You can make your own teasers and bucktails with their supplies.  I found the investment in equipment is minimal and the guy showed me exactly how to tie one.  You can get started with a vice, thread, glue and "feathers" for about $35. He showed me a varitey of things you can do.  You can actually make a teaser look like a sandflea!  This is something I will probably not do this fall but will definitely apply the techniques for the spring run.

Post a comment...on your thoughts on this subject!  Really want to hear from you!

No comments:

Post a Comment