Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Jax Pier - 10/23


Fished the pier from 9-Noon yesterday.  Started out where I could find a spot on the north side which was inside the first shed.  Not much happening since the tide was low.  Move out just east of the third shed and finally caught some fish.  Most of the action was happening between the 2nd & 3rd sheds.  A pair of guys and a husband/wife team were pulling in pomps left and right.  Definitely limited out if not over the limit it seemed like they were catching so many!  On my way out I asked the Husband/Wife team if they were catching them strictly on clams.  He said no they were biting the shrimp just as much.

Knowing that Pomps are "structure shy" and will swim around the pier just like the mullet I figured I'd eventually catch some as they made their way around.  Finished with 3 Pomps and several lost hits.  Using #8 and 1/0 hooks.  On one rod I threw out my newly made teasers with a bare hook, no bait.  I did get a couple strikes on it but wasn't fast enough to set the hook before they dropped it.  I am going to continue that experiment next time I hit the Surf.  Me and they guy just north of me were not getting any hits on shrimp.  The Pomps we caught were on frozen clams.

The guy above had some serious bend in his rod.  About a 3 1/2 ft bonnethead.

1 comment:

  1. Ohh you have cooked all the hunted fishes. My mouth is full of water after seeing your post. i think you are not only a good hunter. you are good cook to Fishing in Dubai

    ReplyDelete