Saturday, October 9, 2010

Welcome Home!

Got the party started Friday at American Beach.  First line in one hour into the outgiong and nothing was happening.  The sea looked pretty good at first blush.  As the waves crashed onto the beach I saw nothing but blue-green.  Finally as we approached low tide I hooked up to a hardhead.  What?  Taking another look at the sea I could tell why.  It was dirty and I was shocked.  Nowhere in the forecast did I see anything about sustained east winds.  But there it was dirty as could be.

24 hours makes a big difference.

Packed the family up and made a breakfast stop at Dennys. Arrived at American Beach about an hour before high tide.  Set up a 9' Tica Dolphin short and the 10'6" Dolphin and 525 long.  Went about 60 yards south and set up 11' Lami and Blue Yonder long and 9' Dolphin short.  Everything was happening on the northern rods.  All keeper whiting and one bull whiting on the 525 long.  Short rods produced a lone lady fish and that was it.  Repositioned the southern rods with the rods to the north and then it happened. Pompano!    The 11' Lami went slack, telltale sign, I raced to the rod and raced to catch up to the hard charger making for the beach!  I think my yell woke the rest of the neighborhood.  16" measure to the fork!  Just as I was getting my picture taken the 525 bends over.  As I begin the fight it's obvious what it is.  It runs then stops, runs and stops; ray; a big one cause I'm not able to get him in quick to rebait my other rods for Pomps.  Finally I get him to the beach, get him cut loose and the bite dies.  A couple missed hits and that's it.
The fall run is here and it's gonna get better!  Just wish I had some more sandfleas!



No comments:

Post a Comment