Sunday, October 3, 2010

Tempting

Several years ago I was introduced to Sharking by a group that loves the sport.  I soon discovered it's a very popular sport all along the east and gulf coasts.  Most will fish at night.  Most will "yak" their baits out a few hundred yards in a kayak.  Every type of shark is caught from just a couple feet long to huge 12-15 ft monsters.

I went out and bought a 12' Ocean Master and Penn 545 reel to have a castable rig for catching sharks from the surf.  It's not gotten much use yet.  Just too busy to put everything together and go catch Sharks.  Then I learned that my Spinner Shark catch last year was a bit more than an accident.  I learned I was fishing in the right spot at the right time (tide and season).  With that new knowledge I decide to give it a shot again since the conditions were exactly like they were last year.  This time I encountered one of those monsters (big enough to make the encounter "no contest').

I know the fall migration is "everything".  All the fish that swim north in summer return to wamer water in the fall.  That includes a seemingly endless list of fish from Whiting to Pompano to King and Spanish Macs, to , Tarpon and Jacks; but it also includes Sharks.  There is only one species of Shark that I know that loves the colder northern waters and that would be Great Whites.

This fall season my primary goal is to catch as many Pomps as I can including a family max in a single day (24).  But given the thrill of that brief encounter and that this is also the season for Sharks to be transiting through our area I'm tempted to bring the Shark rod on my trips.  On the days I want to stay stationary and not chase the Pomps up and down the beach I think I will cast the heavy gear in hopes of latching onto a 6+ foot shark.

If you want to learn how to target sharks these are the guys who are the experts, the Texas Sharkers
http://www.tx-sharkfishing.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment