Saturday, October 2, 2010

Forget the Knife! Always bring the Gun!

Picked Leah up from school and headed out to American Beach.  The goal was to catch a Spinner Shark or two on the long rods and whatever else was biting on the short rods.  The action started out hot and stayed hot.  Surprised to find big blues here so soon.  Caught trout, blues and whiting.  Started at about 1pm and finished at 5pm.  On the long rods I made 50# wire rigs with 6/0 circles.  Was using live mullet for bait.  Wanted pinfish but my spot didn't produce any.  Conditions were blustery and it looked like there should be some Reds out there.  So on one of the short rods I switched from #1 circle's to 4/0 circles and baited with cut mullet and whole shrimp.  On the long rods I decided to switch to whiting heads as bait. 


I am keenly aware there are big creatures in the sea, but for some reason they slip our of my conciousness until I encounter them again; and usually the fight is over before it even starts.  Something powerful latched on to the 12' Ocean Master and 525, with the express intent of taking it out to sea.  I saw the rod go over suddenly and forcefully.  There was no bounce to the rod like there usually is when something big is struggling to take your gear home.  The rod went as far as it could go and the spike started to follow.  The spike was deep.  He had to displace a lot of sand to be getting the spike too.  It was about 40 yards from me and as I started to spriint everything snapped back to twelve o'clock.   That battle was over in 10 seconds.  I reeled it in to discover the wire had been chewed through.  Got a picture but the quality was poor.  The hook was gone.  The 6 foot leader shorter than it was before.  I put the rod back in the spike and stood stunned.  I actually had my guns with me, 10/0 thick J hooks on 135# 7 strand wire.  Just decided that that was more than I'd need for Spinners since I'd caught one last year on 50# mono.  We all know there's always the chance to latch into something more than what you're targeting.   All-in-all it was an excellent day!  The Fish Hunters caught fish and re-learned a lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment