Saturday, September 25, 2010

Hooks

Searched a long time to find hooks that I would like. Tried going the cheap route.  Problem is that they rust too fast.  I make my own rigs and after one use the cheapies were done.  Had to make new rigs.  Owner and Gamakatsu hooks are better quality and don't rust quickly.  I've been able to get almost an entire year out of them.  I prefer the Gami's over the Owners because their Octopus Circle hooks have a little wider gap which helps hook up rate. Especially if you're letting rods just sit in sand spikes.
 
On my double bottom rigs I've always used 2/0 circle hooks, however I'd loose a lot of bites because smaller fish would just steal the bait.  Several months ago I heard that #4 circle hooks are best for whiting.   It is a small hook,  really small bait but great hook up rate.  There is a trade off with that small a hook.  You can't get a big enough bait to entice fish like slot reds and larger drum continuously.  Then there's the matter of fighting that size fish with that small of a hook.

I've now switched to #1 circle hooks to solve both problems of hook up rate with 10-12 inch whiting and slot Reds from the same rig.  It's a light wire hook so you still have to be careful with the bigger fish, but I think it'll do the job well consistently.

I also bought some Gulp Sandfleas in Natural color from Strikezone to try on the Pomps in a few weeks. We'll see how they work.

No comments:

Post a Comment